This communication is to advise you of the legislative changes which were adopted at the June 9 Annual Assembly of the Grand Council of Cryptic Masons of the State of Missouri. In order to attempt to ensure awareness, the Grand Master has ordered this communication to be read in its entirety at your next stated assembly, recorded in the minutes and copies to be provided to the top three officers of your Council.
Missouri Grand York Rite Office
To: Missouri Councils of Royal and Select Masters
Grand Council Advancing Line Officers
Regional Deputy Grand Masters
Past Grand Masters
Subject: 2016 Grand Council Legislative Changes
This communication is to advise you of the legislative changes which were adopted at the June 9 AnnualÂ Assembly of the Grand Council of Cryptic Masons of the State of Missouri. In order to attempt to ensureÂ awareness, the Grand Master has ordered this communication to be read in its entirety at your next statedÂ assembly, recorded in the minutes and copies to be provided to the top three officers of your Council.
1. ARTICLE II., SEC. 11. The Grand Master, Powers and Duties. â€“ section (11) b. was added – b.
The Grand Master shall by temporary appointment fill all vacancies which may occur in theÂ offices of the Grand Council, provided however, that a vacancy in the office of Grand MasterÂ shall be filled as provided in the Grand Council by Laws, Article II, Sec. 12. (Amended 6/9/16)
2. ARTICLE III., SEC. 18. Standing Committees, Duties of., The Committee on Time and PlaceÂ was amended, including sub-sections (5) and (6) â€“ shall consist of the Deputy Grand Master, theÂ Grand Principal Conductor of the Work, the Grand Treasurer and Grand Recorder who, followingÂ the approval of the Report of the Committee on Time and Place at the annual assembly, will beÂ empowered by this Grand Council: (Amended 6/9/16)
(5) to negotiate contracts with facilities selected as the headquarters while keeping in mindÂ the financial bearing of the membership and this Grand Jurisdiction; (Amended 6/9/16)
(6) the Grand Recorder, in accordance with Article II, Sec. 14 (6) to sign or otherwiseÂ execute, or in his absence or unavailability to be signed or otherwise executed by a Grand OfficerÂ designated by the Grand Master, such contracts in the name of and in the behalf of the GrandÂ Council of Cryptic Masons of the State of Missouri, after satisfying the requirements of Article II,Â Sec. 16A. Grand Council Contracts; and, (Amended 6/9/16)
3. ARTICLE IV., Miscellaneous, SEC. 22. Revenue of the Grand Council., sub-section (3) wasÂ amended â€“ Each Chartered Council shall pay the sum of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) for eachÂ name borne on its rolls on December 31 of each year plus, the per capita dues of the GeneralÂ Grand Council, Cryptic Masons, International. (Amended 5/16/02, 5/19/05, 5/14/08, 6/9/16)
4. ARTICLE VI., Chartered Councils, SEC 48. Councils, Special Assemblies., was amended â€“Â Special Assemblies may be held at the pleasure of the Master, but the object of such specialÂ Assembly must be distinctly stated in a notice which is to be sent to all resident members, by USÂ Mail or other electronic or digital means, or through newspaper notices inserted ten days inÂ advance of said special Assembly, and no other business shall be transacted but that for which theÂ special Assembly was called. (Amended 6/9/16)
5. ARTICLE VI., Chartered Councils, SEC. 48A. Councils, Joint Assemblies., sub-section (3) wasÂ added â€“ (3) Councils are further permitted to hold Special or Joint Assemblies within any GrandÂ Lodge of Missouri Symbolic Lodge in their District where a Council does not exist to conferÂ degrees or for other instructional/educational purposes benefitting the Craft upon written approvalÂ from the Worshipful Master of that Lodge and providing prior notice is given to the GrandÂ Recorder and Grand Master. (Added 6/9/16)
6. ARTICLE VI., Chartered Councils., SEC 49. Councils, Transaction of Business. was amended â€“
All business of the Council must be transacted at a stated Assembly, or at a Special or JointÂ Assembly of which said due notice of the meeting and of the business to be transacted shall haveÂ been given to each resident member of the Council. (Amended 6/9/16)
7. ARTICLE VI., Chartered Councils., SEC. 60. Extinct Councils, Status of Members. (DeletedÂ and Replaced 6/9/16) was deleted and replaced.
8. ARTICLE VI., Chartered Councils., SEC. 60., was replaced â€“ SEC. 60. Marion Council NumberÂ 3. A Missouri At-Large Council, known as Marion Council Number 3 shall be recognized as aÂ holding Council under the authority of the Grand Council of Missouri. Creation of said councilÂ shall not be subject to the previous sections of Article V, but shall be by enactment of law. AÂ charter shall be issued by the Grand Recorder and held by the Grand Master while he remains inÂ office and passed to his successor. All members in good standing of any Missouri Council whichÂ shall cease to exist due to either the surrender, revocation or annulment of its Charter, and who doÂ not request a Certificate of Good Standing from the Grand Recorder in order to petition forÂ membership to join another Council within six months, shall be automatically consideredÂ members of Marion Council Number 3, and subject to its regulations. Marion Council Number 3Â shall be governed, in lieu of by-laws, by the following regulations. (Replaced 6/9/16)
(1) Officers: The officers of Marion Council Number 3 shall be the Grand Officers of the GrandÂ Council, except the Grand Treasurer and Grand Recorder. The officers shall be consideredÂ temporary members of the Council during their term of office. The Treasurer and RecorderÂ of Marion Council Number 3 shall be Past Grand Masters appointed annually by the GrandÂ Master and shall be considered temporary members of the Council during their terms ofÂ office. Installation as a Grand Council Officer shall be considered installation to the sameÂ Marion Council Number 3 office with no further or official declaration. Installation of theÂ Treasurer and Recorder shall be at a time and place as suitable. The officers shall not beÂ assessed dues, shall not be considered dual members due to their temporary membership, norÂ shall they be permitted to request demits from Marion Council Number 3. The officers’ dutiesÂ shall be the same as the equivalent officers of all other Chartered Councils. The officers shall
conduct all business of the Council.
(2) Dues: The dues for Marion Council Number 3 shall be fifteen dollars ($15.00) per year plusÂ the annual dues and per capita assessments to the Grand Council. Dues may be remitted byÂ the officers if such remission is, in their opinion, justified.
(3) Degree Conferral Restricted: Marion Council Number 3 shall not accept petitions for theÂ degrees or for affiliation, and shall not confer degrees.
(4) Certificates of Good Standing and Demits: Requests for Certificates of Good Standing andÂ requests for demit from Marion Council Number 3 shall be received and granted by theÂ recorder, provided that all other provisions of Article X of the Grand Council by-laws areÂ fulfilled.
(5) Meetings: The officers shall have at least one business meeting, each year, either by personalÂ attendance, conference call or virtually, for the purpose of conducting the business of theÂ Council, including review and approval of the expenses paid by and other actions performedÂ by the recorder.
(6) Reports: The Recorder of Marion Council Number 3, in addition to submitting the AnnualÂ Return, shall make a report at each annual Grand Assembly of the Grand Council detailingÂ the members and actions of the Council.
9. ARTICLE VI., Chartered Councils., SEC. 61A. was renumbered â€“ Any Council not having itsÂ annual return submitted by March 8 (eight) of each year will lose all voting privileges at GrandÂ Council and the Grand Recorder will hold all payments to that Council until the annual return isÂ in and all fees paid for that year. (Added 5/17/01, renumbered 6/9/16)
10. ARTICLE VI., Chartered Councils., SEC. 62. was amended â€“ Extinct Councils, Dues FromÂ Members of. The Grand Council has the right to collect from members all dues chargeableÂ against them up to the time it became extinct, and to discipline all those who refuse or neglect toÂ pay the same. (Amended 6/9/16)
11. ARTICLE VI., Chartered Councils., SEC. 63. Extinct Councils, Membership Transfer from. wasÂ amended â€“ When a Council has ceased to exist, any member thereof, in good standing becomes aÂ member of Marion Council Number 3. (Amended 6/9/16)
12. Standing Resolution No 11 was added â€“ Subordinate Councils shall include with their AnnualÂ Return a copy of the latest IRS Form 990 or the receipt for the online submission of a 990N.
Of CRITICAL IMPORT â€“ Per capita of the Grand Council was raised to $25.00 with an effective dateÂ of January
1, 2017. Your Councilâ€™s dues structure should be immediately amended if necessary and yourÂ 2017 Dues collection should account for the following:
Grand Council Per Capita $25.00
Grand Council Leadership Training 0.10
General Grand Council Per Capita 2.50
The revised Grand Council Constitution and By-Laws have been posted to the Grand York Rite Web SiteÂ in the Document Library.
Kevin B. Sample